Button Moon is a children's television programme broadcast in the UK in the 1980s on the ITV network. Thames Television produced each episode, which lasted ten minutes and featured the adventures of Mr. Spoon who, in each episode, travels to Button Moon in his homemade rocket ship. All the characters are based on kitchen utensils, as well as many of the props.
Once on Button Moon, which hangs in "blanket sky", they have an adventure, and look through Mr. Spoon's telescope at someone else such as the Hare and the Tortoise, before heading back to their home on 'Junk Planet'. Episodes also include Mr. Spoon's wife Mrs. Spoon, their daughter, Tina Tea-Spoon and her friend Eggbert. The series ended in 1988 after 91 episodes.
The show began its run on Children's ITV with its third season on 1983.
Only series 4, 6 and 7 are currently available on iTunes.
Button Moon was originally conceived by Ian Allen as a stage show for Playboard Puppets in 1978. Allen adapted it into a TV series for Thames two years later. The first series of thirteen programmes was transmitted on in 1980. A further six series of thirteen programmes followed, making a total of ninety-one different Button Moon adventures. The series was repeated on a yearly basis for Thames TV up until 1988.
- Series One: 8 December 1980 - 2 March 1981
- Series Two: 29 December 1981 - 23 March 1982
- Series Three: 5 October 1983 - 28 December 1983
- Series Four: 30 January 1985 - 24 April 1985
- Series Five: 7 January 1986 - 1 April 1986
- Series Six: 6 January 1987 - 31 March 1987
- Series Seven: 8 September 1988 - 1 December 1988